Friday, October 26

Will be getting some work done today: I hope. One more Living Faith devotion, then maybe some work on the interminable book proposals I'm constantly toying with. If I could just get them done, I could get the money, and I'd feel much better. So why can't I get them done?

Today's distraction will be Katie, , home from school at noon. (parent- teacher conferences this afternoon.) I suppose we'll use the time to go get the costumes she needs for next week together. A disadvantage of Catholic schools: two costumes for the Halloween/All Saints nexus. Unless your child really wants to be St. Catherine or St. Dominic for Halloween, and who can blame them if they don't? She's going to be Kateri Tekakwitha for All Saints (a city-wide Catholic school celebration at the Cathedral), and wants to be some sort of Egyptian princess for Halloween. The first will be easier to do that the second.

I'll also try to make more progress on The Corrections which, after a good start, has struck a rough patch, although the nature of the patch has given me a good starting point for criticism - a character is getting interested in a scheme to fool with the "hard-wiring" of the brain in the interest of better mental health for humanity (and himself, probably)....Walker Percy, anyone? Think Love in the Ruins, but without the wit and (so far) without the soul.